Friday, August 1, 2008

Fun in the Sun

Last Saturday we went to the lake for a couple hours with the Bushlings. Zach and Kenny were out diving so the kids and I kept Marcie and her kids company. They had a blast. It makes me almost feel guilty. We have this great lake up here to take advantage of and we hardly ever go. My kids love playing in the sand and swimming in the water. I don't care for the sand or swimming in the water or sitting in the sun or the good ol' Lake Isabella wind. But maybe I should suck it up for my kids' sake. Ali is finally getting brave in the water. She used to not swim in the lake because she was freaked out by the thought of the fish. I don't care to swim in the lake because I, too, do not care for the thought of the fish or perhaps a dead body that's been lost for ages surfacing by me. I know, I know. Completely irrational, but seriously, those are thoughts that go through my head. And I grew up here, never had those crazy thoughts when I was younger. So, the last time we were on the boat, I ask Ali if the reason she won't go in the water is the fish. She sheepishly says yes. I admit that I, her own mother, don't care for the fish. I left out the part about dead bodies-don't want to freak her out more. I tell her I just keep my legs moving to make sure no fish get too close. She ponders this for awhile. Then when we met up with Tisha, I bite the bullet and jump in the water. This gives Ali some confidence and she asks if she can come in with me and try it out. I say sure, if you want to. She clings to me like there is no tomorrow, then eventually swims off on her own. How proud I am-of both of us! Anyway, back to my original story. So, Ali puts on her life jacket and goes out into the lake swimming with Tayah. They had so much fun. Then they built sandcastles and played in the sand. Spencer is still not so brave in the water. He would only go to his knees. Until Marcie sat Jayda down in the water (she loved it) and says to Spencer, "Pretty soon Jayda will pass you up." So Spencer ventures out to his waist and says, "Ha! Beat that Jayda!" Wow, Spencer, you daredevil! Well, we all got good laugh. But even he had fun playing in the sand.

0 comments: